If you are like most Americans the biggest investment that you ever make will be when you buy a home. If this is where the majority of your money is going wouldn’t you want to protect your assets? You most likely have homeowners insurance, which will protect you from things like fire, wind, and lightning strikes. Your insurance might even cover your personal belongings up to a certain amount. But, what if you need coverage for something else? What if your HVAC system stops working or your refrigerator breaks? That’s where home warranty service comes into play. Here’s how to choose the best home warranty service.
1. Ask for referrals
Word of mouth has always been the best advertisement. It’s also the best way to find a legitimate company to work with. When you purchase a new house ask your real estate agent for a recommendation. Chances are good that they have connections and if they have been in the area working for a while they probably know which companies to stay away from. Don’t forget to ask your family and friends for recommendations for companies that they use.
2. Compare coverage options
When you are purchasing a plan you need to read through the fine print to see what the plan really covers. Make sure you are choosing a home warranty service that covers the items that you need. You also want to make sure that you aren’t paying for coverage that you don’t need. For example, if you just purchased new appliances for your kitchen and they have a manufacturer warranty you don’t need to pay for additional coverage.
3. Compare prices
Different companies are going to have plans at different price points. Once you know the type of coverage that you need your next step is to start comparing prices. Why pay more than you need to? In purchasing the standard rule is to obtain at least three quotes and you should do the same when looking for a home warranty service.
Companies to consider
To help get you started in your search for a home warranty service, here are a few of the top rated companies online:
- Choice Home Warranty – You can choose between the Basic Plan or the Total Plan, along with additional add-on coverage. And there are numerous online reviews about how fast and efficient the customer service is and how simple it is to file a claim.
- Duke Energy – Through Duke Energy, you can choose to cover the specific area that you are looking for, which is great so you avoid paying for services that you don’t need. You can choose plans that cover your wiring, plumbing, or HVAC, along with a surge plan.
- American Residential Warranty – This company offers you five plans to choose from. You can choose between a kitchen plan that covers just your appliances all the way up to all of the systems in your house. Review after review online has nothing but positive things to say about the company.
- FPL Energy Services – FPL Energy Services also provides plan options that allow you to pick and choose which areas you want coverage. For example, if you have a backup generator you can have it covered, but if you don’t you don’t need to pay for it. Cover what’s important to you.
- Select Home Warranty – This company has one a 2017 best in service award. Homeowners can choose between three plans to get the coverage they are looking for. Their site even provides helpful information to show the average cost of repairs that you would have to pay without coverage.
When choosing a home warranty the most important thing is to make sure you are getting the coverage you need. The last thing you want is to pay for a home warranty service plan and then not have the coverage you thought you did. When you take the time to choose a company that you are comfortable with you will have the peace of mind you are after.